The entrance to the Senri Shrine in Evanescent Existence on the edge of Mugenri
|Creator||Senri Shrine's first priest|
|Residents||Humans, Youkai, Gods, etc.|
Mugenri (无現里 Mugenri) is the primary setting of the Len'en Project games. It's unclear of what the region is, but it's suppose to be a forgotten land that is sealed away from the outside world by the Mugenri Barrier. Yabusame Houlen and their acquaintances are spirited away there by the priest Tsurubami Senri, starting their adventures in this strange land.
The name "Mugenri" is a wordplay on mugen no en (無限の縁, lit. "limitless relations"), mugen no ri ("illusionary laws"), and Mugenri (无現里, lit. "Unreal Land").
Geography and People
The land of Mugenri was sealed away long ago, so it is not well known in the Outside World. Its culture vaguely resembles that of feudal Japan, with a lot of folktale elements added on.
The region mostly appears to only have human and youkai creatures, with rare exceptions such as Kurohebi (and probably Taira no Fumikado). It has been shown that it has a barrier that separates it from the Outside World. It's also known that humans from the Outside World can be spirited away into Mugenri, as shown in Evanescent Existence.
Three major areas of Mugenri are currently known, they are:
- The Sanctuary
- The imperial capital Devanagara, separated from the Sanctuary by the Gloomy Straits
- The Southern Country of Penguins[a], where Medias comes from
While the distances between areas are unknown, it is known that the distance between the Senri Shrine and Devanagara is greater than those from the shrine to the Dragonfly Castle and the length of the Shrine Road taken in Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle.
Little is known about the far past of the world of Mugenri, since more of the characters travelled from far away or were spirited away there. What is known is that the first-generation Shinto priest of the Senri Shrine was the one who created Mugenri, and the second priest of the shrine was the one who introduced the spell card system.
Tsurubami Senri, the current official priest of the Senri Shrine, had tyrannically ruled Mugenri with an iron fist for a long time, oppressing its people and youkai. Because of this, many youkai hide away during the day, fearful of them. Ever since after the events of Evanescent Existence, Tsurubami has not appeared in Mugenri because they are having a holiday in the Outside World, replacing themself with Yabusame Houlen and Tsubakura Enraku to take care of the job of being the youkai exterminators of Mugenri.
- Mugenri has its own calendar system called Ruri (流離), which means "exile" or "to wander". It's similar to Japan's old lunisolar calendar, with Mugenri's birth as the starting point of its first era. However, the current year is unknown.
- While Shintoism and Buddhism are Mugenri's main religions, JynX has stated that at the very least Christianity exists within Mugenri as well.
- According to JynX, the movements of celestial bodies in Mugenri differ from that of "our universe".
- Unofficial name