Youkai (妖怪, "mystic apparition" or "mysterious calamity") is a term used to refer to Japanese folk creatures and ghosts, or to supernatural beings in general. Because there are thousands of stories of magical beings around the world, the different types of youkai are endless.
The term youkai is sometimes used interchangeably with obake (お化け, roughly "one that takes on a form"), meaning things which have undergone some kind of supernatural change, beings with shapeshifting powers, or phantoms and ghosts. It is a common Japanese belief that after a certain amount of time, ordinary objects and animals gain life and personality, becoming a kind of youkai. In some cases even a normal human can become a youkai under the right conditions or vice versa.
Youkai in Len'en
Youkai in Mugenri have varying locations. While some live within the dens or just out in the wilderness (such as Shou Amanomori), they are perfectly capable of residing in cities like Devanagara as well.
It's rather uncommon (although not impossible) for youkai to mature after coming into existence.
Characters under this Bestiary
- Adagumo no Saragimaru (Orochi)
- Adagumo no Yaorochi (Orochi)
- Harujion (Youkai daisy flower)
- Hibaru Kokutenshi (Skylark youkai)
- Jinbei (Shikigami)
- Jun Amanomiya (Rain youkai)
- Kaisen Azuma (Frog youkai)
- Kujiru Kesa (Slug youkai)
- Lumen Celeritas (Sunlight youkai)
- Medias Moritake (Penguin youkai)
- Mitsumo (Tsukumogami)
- Sese Kitsugai (Gashadokuro)
- Shion (Chimera soul)
- Shou Amanomori (Sea Slug youkai)
- Sukune Katano (Haniwa youkai)
- Taira no Chouki (Dead spirit)
- Taira no Fumikado (Homuncular Oni, formerly human)
- Tsugumi Umatachi (Oseibo jockey)
- Touhou Wiki's entry for Youkai
- Wikipedia's entry for youkai
- Yokai.com, a site listing and describing a large number of youkai.
- hyakumonogatari.com another similar site.
- JynX's Twitter: "The youkai of Mugenri can have a place of residence just like humans, there are also some that live in dens or out in the wild. I'll talk about where youkai live in detail at a later point, as for those four's [Yaorochi, Saragimaru, Jun and Shou's] lives, I'll leave it up to your imagination~."
- Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle: Preschool Team's Neutral Scenario