Book of the Cafe
BOOK of the CAFE
The current logo of the game
|Released||4 April 2020 (Alpha)|
|Genre||Business Simulation Game|
|Platforms||Android, Web browser (iOS version in development)|
|Attention: This article is a stub because Para is lacking knowledge!|
You can help the Len'en Wiki by expanding it with more knowledge!
Len'en Cafe ~ Book of the Cafe (連縁カフェ ～ BOOK of the CAFE) is a business simulation game and the upcoming 0th game of the Len'en Project. It was revealed by JynX on their blog on 11 November 2017, the fourth anniversary of Len'en. Planned for release on Android and iOS smartphones, this also makes it the first Len'en game to be released on platforms other than Windows, as well as the first game of the series to not be a shooting game.
The gameplay is how the genre is described: a business simulation. In the 5th anniversary video, it shows the whole scene in general. There are "Shop Assistants" who can interact with various components of the scene, such as a sink, a service table and a cooker (called "The Three Musketeers"). They have various statistics, so they can be better at one thing over another. Choosing to cook will also allow the player to select various dishes. Once cooked, the assistant can automatically take it to a customer. When that customer finished eating, an assistant can take the plate to a sink, which the player can then command an assistant to clean the dishes. JynX also aims to have the game run automatically to an extent when the game is closed.
The game also allows customisation to the layout, such as adding table and chairs, changing floor tiles, wall tiles, a new cooker, etc. The more the player plays the game, the bigger it gets. The player will also gain money, EXP, etc. along the way.
At the top of the left menu on the cafe screen, the notices section can be found, where the FAQ and update notes can be found, along with other messages from JynX.
As with previous instalments, the game features original tracks composed by JynX. Thus far, the alpha version has 3 themes, plus 2 tracks featured only in trailers (in the fifth and sixth series anniversary videos, respectively). The game in its current state doesn't have a Music Room, so the songs do not yet include composer comments and their titles are taken from JynX's various FANBOX articles.
On 21 April 2017, JynX stated that they took an interest in trying to develop a "café management" game, and thus got themself into studying on how to develop such a system. By doing so, they pointed out that instead of it being a spin-off, it will still have major relevance to the story of the Len'en Project. After some time on 29 April, they (drunkenly) created an animation of Tsubakura that is likely to have relevance to Book of the Cafe.
Eventually, JynX announced the game on their blog on 11 November 2017 as part of the fourth anniversary of Len'en, showing a screenshot of the game and talking about various gameplay elements that they plan to implement. The screenshot confirmed Yabusame Houlen, Tsubakura Enraku and Shion's appearances, as well as some furniture implemented. They were aiming for a beta release sometime in 2018. On 9 March 2018, JynX released a video showing a battle stage in the alpha stages of development. The game was still in development as of 9 September 2018.
The game is currently developed for Android and browser, but they might create an iOS version if the game gets enough popularity. They once stated that they wanted to make a game for iOS on 17 August 2015. On 11 November 2018, JynX revealed that they are halfway through development. Because of their inexperience in making games for mobile platforms, they had to work more on optimising memory usage, app size, etc. to make it run efficiently. Due to the amount of work to do, the intended beta release was pushed back indefinitely. However, they promised to improve the game's quality in the meantime. They also plan on re-working on character art already implemented.
On the Project's 6th anniversary, a trailer of the game was released, showcasing more of the game's mechanics, as well as showing an excerpt of dialogue featuring NiLU and Tom C. Zemlja. From November 2019 onward, JynX started sharing progress reports on the game on their Pixiv FANBOX.
Finally, on 1 April 2020, the alpha version of the game (with only the cafe management part of the game included) was announced to release on April 10. However, it ended up releasing on the 4th, as Google verified the game much faster than JynX anticipated. The release of the iOS version has been temporarily postponed until the game's development is further along. JynX also announced a beta version with the combat system, the release date of which is currently up in the air, but likely to be within 2020. 
- In the provided screenshot of the initial reveal, haniwa could be seen as a reference to Sukune Katano, and dice could be seen referencing Xeno a.
- On one shelf are plushy versions of Yabusame and Tsubakura.
- The anniversary of Len'en video has roads and buildings around the scene, suggesting that the current scene takes place in Devanagara.
- Book of the Cafe was originally numbered 4.5 while in development, but was changed to 0 when the first teaser for the game was released.
- The α Version Disclaimer features the silhouette of Tom C. Zemlja.
- Len'en Project 5th Anniversary Video!
- JynX's Twitter: "Phew~, work's never done. Cafe's battle scenes will take more time to complete."
- JynX's YouTube: Len'en Café α Version, Battle Screen Part.01
- JynX's Twitter: "I've been thinking, I wanna make a café management game. (Not saying that the next game's gonna be one, mind you.)"
- JynX's Twitter: "I'm studying hard regarding this new development system in order to make that a reality!"
- JynX's Twitter: "You might think "café management" means it'll be a fluffy side-story sort of game, but it's actually planned to be a majorly important entry in the Len'en series. And, like, stuff."
- Unreal Indolence Blog Translation, 11 November 2017
- JynX's Twitter: "Hmm, development for Cafe is still going on so it will have to wait at least until the middle of the year. I'm reaaally sorry about that."
- Interview with JynX (2015): Question 54
- Pixiv FANBOX - 4 April 2020
- Pixiv FANBOX - 3 April 2020
- Len'en 7th Anniversary Video
- JynX's Twitter: "Cafe is kinda like a side story, so it would be Len'en 4.5, while Monochrome World would be Len'en 5. (It's really just whatever I feel like.)
- JynX's Twitter: "Anyways, as shown in the video, Cafe's number has changed from "LE04.5" to "LE00". Sorry about that! It's not my fault! History is~.... My memory is~....