A Barrier (結界 Kekkai) is something that separates two spaces, preventing free movement between the two sides, or access to one side from the other.
In the Len'en Project, barriers are more conceptual and are, according to Tenkai Zuifeng, "impossible for humans to fully understand". Barriers are inscribed on the underside of regular space, giving the "front" and "back" sides separated by the barrier. However, the barrier does not physically exist, thus there is only "front" and "back", and the different phenomena on each side, nothing in between. Barriers have no thickness and mass and can be said to not exist in this world, and thus are "unreal".
Uses of Barriers
Barriers have a variety of applications, as shown below:
- Despite not being a physical object, a barrier can be used to physically separate two areas (E.g. The Summonsing Fortress barrier and the Mugenri Barrier.)
- A barrier can be used to detect hidden objects and people.
- A barrier can be set up within speech, although what this does is unclear.
- A barrier can be made synchronized with one's memories, allowing one to recall certain information by looking at it.
- A barrier can be used to throw others off course. (E.g. Those found within the Dragonfly Castle.)
The Mugenri Barrier
The Mugenri Barrier is a double-layered barrier that separates Mugenri and the Outside World. According to Tenkai and Yabusame Houlen, it is more accurate to describe the two worlds as "front" and "back" instead of "inside" and "outside".
Dimensions themselves are barriers that shape the boundaries of "possibility" within it, likely being what gave Mugenri rules that allow flight. According to Yabusame, they taste like tartar sauce, which is confirmed by Tenkai.
- Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle: Shrine Team's Neutral Scenario - Tenkai Zuifeng
- Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle: Preschool Team's Neutral Scenario - Kurohebi
- Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle: Secret Team's Neutral Scenario - Tenkai Zuifeng
- Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle: Preschool Team's Extra Scenario - EX+α Stage