This is a list of miscellaneous content related to Evanescent Existence.
Differences Between Versions
v1.01 and v1.10 Differences
Apart from a secret playable character being implemented, there were also some significant changes to the game between the previous v1.01a and v1.10a.
- The biggest difference is that danmaku and spell card patterns throughout the game have been re-worked on, and some are considered simpler compared to the original.
- A flash bomb system was implemented into the game, upgrading it to the standard of the rest of the series.
- In the main Japanese title, the complex-looking kanji "鏈" in "Len'en" has been converted to the simpler-looking "連" throughout most of the game. This is to update the standard kanji JynX is currently using with Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle.
- The graphics on the title screen and the gameboard have been re-worked on, one reason being the point mentioned above, along with a unique gameboard for the hidden playable.
- The alternate full-screen mode from Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle has been added to the configuration program.
- All text-related files are now open-source outside the dat.led file in accordance to Brilliant Pagoda or Haze Castle, making it easier for one to customise them.
- You start with three lives rather than two on the lower difficulty modes.
- The character selection screen has been re-arranged to scroll up and down rather than left and right, to fit the new third playable character.
- Dialogue boxes now have a grey bar over the speaker's name.
- Very trivial graphic fixes.
- A lot of the data from the game's sequel, Earthen Miraculous Sword, is present in the game files, such as character portraits and sprites, as well as the graphics for their titles. Sound effects for the flash bomb are also present (although later used in v1.10a), as well as sound effects used in Sukune Katano's spell cards. This is due to both games being developed and released simultaneously.
- There is a sprite of a yellow circle with an "S" in the centre (also present in Earthen Miraculous Sword). This would later be used in Reactivate Majestical Imperial as a full powerup item.
- There are two unused enemies in the game: a black T-shaped enemy with a green eye in its center, and a grey-and-black enemy that resembles a snake with wings. JynX stated that both of these enemies were intended to be Tsurubami Senri's shikigami, but were cut from the game due to this not being obvious. Both sprite sheets are also present in Earthen Miraculous Sword and Reactivate Majestical Imperial.
- There is a sheet named staff_roll_moji.png, which appears to be an earlier version of the staff roll. It is possible that a more standard scrolling credits sequence was intended, as opposed to the final version's more animated Touhou -esque sequence. JynX's name is erroneously spelled as "JINX". It was deleted in v1.10a.
This is a list of known glitches, bugs or other unusual capabilities that aren't supposed to be part of the original gameplay.
- When playing as Suzumi fighting against Tsurubami Senri as Tsubakura Enraku on stage 3, the spell card background will show Yabusame Houlen's silhouette instead of Tsubakura's.
- In v1.10a, Tsurubami's final spell card "Non-existent Seal [Empty Being]" bugs out when playing as Tsubakura or Suzumi. When switching phases, Tsurubami will not shoot any bullets and stay still, taking an extremely long time to begin the next phase. This was working in earlier versions.
- Various sound effects, such as the menu select and cancel sounds, as well as player shooting sounds and enemy destruction sounds, are too quiet.
- On Hard, Tsubakura's opening boss nonspell does not have knife bullets emit from the initially-fired bubble bullets, and their penultimate spell card Mysterious Card "Monochrome Storm" bugs out and does not fire the diamond-shaped bubble bullets in a consistent pattern.
- Interview with JynX (2017): Development and Design Decisions, Question 102